JOOLS CHAFFER: ANOTHER AWESOME SESSION!!
Jools pumped out another awesome session with Leanne Levitt and with only 5 weeks to go…..the pressure is really on! Today the main muscles to concentrate on were back, biceps and abs. After a fast jog on the treadmill Jools was ready to start pumping iron with Leanne ensuring that each and every repetition counts and that Jools is pushed to his limit! With the photoshoot so close it is important that Jools remains injury free so warming up, stretching, progressive overload as well as regular massages and physio appointments are crucial at this stage. There is a lot more than just ‘pumping iron’ to prepare for Jools’ big bodybuilding photoshoot. Leanne takes an all round approach to fitness so that nothing is overlooked at this stage in the training programme. Diet is also an extremely important factor at this stage in his training so Jools has upped his protein intake to a minimum of 150g+ per day (across 5 meals) also including whey protein supplements.
Then to finish the session off Jools did ‘Leanne’s killer abs’ session. He did this not once but TWICE with a plank set in between. Once again Leanne took Jools through an awesome workout. The photoshoot is fast approaching!
CORE FUNCTIONAL TRAINING
The ‘core’ is used to describe the torso. ‘Core stability’ training in the fitness world has therefore been concerned with improving the stability of the joints in those areas, especially the core! Core functional training is to mimic what the client does in their daily lives with regard to their daily routine or if they are training for a specific event. Functional training attempts to adapt or develop exercises which allow individuals to perform the activities of daily life more easily and without injuries.
The potential benefits of ‘core stability’ training are:
- Reduced risk of injury, particularly to the lower back
- More efficient transference of force between legs and arms, in movements such as lifting, pushing and pulling
- Strengthens the abdominal muscles as well as obliques (side abdominal muscles)
- Improved posture
How does Core Functional Training relate to every day routine:-
- What is your daily routine? If you spend all day sitting at a desk, driving, up and down a ladder or walking a shop floor then your body adapts to these positions.
- Strengthening your core will improve posture and enable you to maintain correct body position throughout the day through a strong and stable torso.
- The majority of people in the UK experience back pain sometime in their lives and more often than not due to minor muscular deficits and an attempt should be made to stabilize the spine and torso.
Core training is vital for bodybuilders as the body has an enormous amount of pressure to withstand especially with squats, bench pressing and pull ups where this is a lot of weight being transferred through the body. As well as working the inner local abdominal muscles, the outer global muscles need to be worked to a maximum. A six pack is essential!